Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thankful Thursdays- 1/17/13- Fellowship

The dictionary defines "fellowship" as 'friendly association.' I would like to insist it is so much more than that! To me fellowship is a chance to refresh, renew, be challenged, express your concerns, share viewpoints, be inspired, and be loved. To me, fellowship occurs in both the most unusual, and most planned of places.

Fellowship requires something of us, it requires us to be present, to focus on the other person, not just ourselves. 


To me, that is one of the greatest things about fellowship, it is a give and take relationship, however short the conversation may be. Focusing on someone else during fellowship allows God to do things in our hearts. He may bring forth compassion, or laughter, sorrow, or joy. It really doesn't matter what our original motive for the fellowship was, as long as we stay open to HIS leading. 

God is calling us to pour into the lives of those around us. Fellowship, the getting together and talking, the sharing of lives, allows Him to give us direction, passion, and sometimes ---healing.

Perhaps it has been a while since you've fellowshipped. Maybe it was just earlier today. Either way, or anywhere in between, allow God to direct your conversations. Perhaps your next great time of fellowship will simply be seeing a friend at the store. Take a minute or two to genuinely ask how your friend is doing, or if they have any prayer requests you can include with your own.

Fellowship means sharing, our time, our resources, our lives. I am SO thankful for the times God allows me to fellowship with my friends and family. God has allowed me to be a part of a wonderful community of Christian friends. He has also allowed me a few non-Christian friends, what a blessing they are. They keep me focused on sharing Christ's love with everyone through my words and actions!

I am grateful for my aquaintances: the people I see at church and recognize by face or name, the tellers at the bank, the cashiers at the stores, they are all a part of my week. BUT, I am truly thankful for fellowship with my friends!!! They lift me up, make me laugh, pray for me, challenge me to pursue God's will, encourage me as a parent, and allow me to do the same for them! Today I am thankful for fellowship!

So who wants to come over for a cup of herbal tea???

No comments:

Post a Comment