Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thankful Thursdays - 11/13/14 - Hymns

This week I want to say how thankful I am for hymns and hymn writers. Last night at church we sang one on the many inspiring hymns written by Fanny J. Crosby, Victory Through Grace. I grew up in a church that sang hymns, and over the years have been a part of churches that sang some combination of hymns and choruses. Now we sing mostly hymns. I appreciate the hymns more than the choruses. So many of the great hymn writers were inspired to put Scripture in their songs. Not just to talk about Scripture, but to include it in their words.

So often, when I'm having a down day, a hymn comes to mind that encourages me or challenges me. Yesterday, Victory Through Grace was that song for me. It was a gentle reminder that Jesus is the Ruler of all, that my hope is in Him, that there will be a victory at the end of the battle. In a time when I'm stretched especially thin, God used a hymn to remind me of His great love, of His grace, of my eternal future with Him. 

Hymns, encouragement

"Not to the strong is the battle, Not to the swift is the race, Yet to the true and the faithful Vic-t'ry is promised through grace."

I have just a few favorite hymns, but I think Victory Through Grace is making its way into my top 20 list. What is your favorite hymn? Leave the title in the comments, it just might make someone's day little more grace-filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment