Friday, July 10, 2015

Road Trip - Destination... My Earlier Days

Road Trip - my past

Today's writing prompt was: Where are you going, or where have you been?

While not just one road trip, like the usual theme, this post contains my memories of several road trips... a few that even included a plane ride. Enjoy!

I sometimes wish I could know where I’m going, however, where I think I’m going and where God takes us are often so very different. So instead of thinking ahead, I’ll think back and tell you about some of the places I’ve been.

When I was in elementary school, my parents took my older brother and I to Eastern Canada for about two weeks. We went through Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland. We came home through the Northeastern United States, but other than stopping to see my Aunt and Cousin in Boston, the US part of that trip is a hazy memory. I do remember that my cousin Steven had a pet tarantula.

When my brother was in High School, and I was in Middle School, we took a family trip out west. FYI- we live in Indiana, so anything past Illinois was “the West” in my mind. I remember visiting the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Wall Drugs, and spending three days in Yellowstone National Park. We also visited the Grand Tetons, Bryce Canyon, Arches National Park, and the Grand Canyon. I remember the fields and fields of sunflowers as we came home across Kansas. I also remember the wind. I think that helped me understand why The Wizard Of Oz story was set in Kansas.

Since Kurt and I have been married, we’ve been quite a few places too. Kentucky, Ohio, and Pennsylvania have been repeat visits. We keep meaning to go further north into Michigan, but so far we’ve only been in the lowest part of Michigan together. We've been to Baltimore twice, and to the Smithsonian Museums in Washington, D.C. We flew to Colorado when my brother got married, and spent a lot of that trip in and around Rocky Mountain National Park. A couple years ago we took the girls on a road trip to Oklahoma to visit our dear friends and attend the Delaware Indian Pow-Wow.


I’ve been blessed to go a lot of places in my life. I’m sure there will be more trips in my future, after all - Life is a Field trip!


Soon there will be more regularly scheduled Road Trip posts... the July blogging challenge has slightly delayed them.


No comments:

Post a Comment