Tuesday, October 6, 2015

How do they Do that?



This is Emily. She is sitting in the bubble window of the fish tank at the zoo. It has always been one of her favorite places at the zoo. She used to be so much littler. I could help her up, and then help her little sister up to sit in the bubble and watch the fish. They used to both fit with room to spare. Not anymore. 

How do our children grow up so fast?

When the girls were little, one of the variations of the famous "Why?" question was "How do they do that?" It led us to all kind of explorations. How do ants pick up leaves? How do they make crayons? How do you make chocolate? How do they clean the street? How do they...?

Now I'm wondering ~ how do they grow up so fast? One day at a time. One year at a time, over a lifetime. Our little girls are not little anymore. I'm officially the shortest one in the family. I knew it would come, I just didn't expect it to happen so soon. I guess that's what I get for marrying someone tall, dark, and handsome.

I also wonder how the girls manage to get all of their schoolwork done everyday. Ok, I'll be honest. There are days when it doesn't all get done. Then there are days like today when at least one of them is done by the middle of the afternoon...including their chores. How do they do that? Some days are just easier, they flow better, no one is waiting around for it to be their turn on the computer. Everyone actually got up and started at a decent hour. There were less distractions. The how doesn't really matter. I'm just glad they did it!

As a mom, I have to guard their time, and their hearts. There are so many things we could be doing for their education. I need discernment to find what God thinks they should be doing. It's not always easy, but its worth it! We don't want children with a long list of accomplishments simply to pad their transcript or resume. We want young adults who have purpose and meaning in their lives based upon following Christ. This has meant a lot of different approaches to learning over the years. It has caused me to be thankful time and time again for our freedom to educate at home. It has meant a lot of field trips too!

Moms, whether you are in the years of the continual "Why?" questions or in the years of almost adult children, they still want and need your love. They need your prayers. They need your listening ears. They might even still need your help with their math. This not-so-little girl of mine still asks me questions every day. Only now, I often tell her to go look it up herself because I don't know the answer. That's ok. As long as she knows I love her, the rest of her education is fairly simple.

Go hug your children! They don't stay little for long.

The days are long, the years are short. 

Be their Mama first, and their teacher second!



No comments:

Post a Comment