Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Old Schoolhouse Resources

By now I'm sure your email inbox has been flooded with posts/ ads/ suggestions/ pleas for you to purchase everything under the sun for Christmas. Am I right? I keep a tight reign on my email, yet every day there are more and more options flooding in with suggestions of how to spend our limited budget.

I'm not going  to hard sell you anything today. I am however, going to tell you about a couple resources that I personally have enjoyed from The Old Schoolhouse. 

Moms and Dads, I know its tough educating your children. Face it, just parenting can be a real challenge at times. As you strive to decide what to purchase (or not) for your children this holiday season, you might want to think about something for yourself. Something that could refresh your homeschooling or offer you encouragement.

Let's step away from what is usually offered to parents as present suggestions . . . like a new car or jewelry (anyone watched football recently and are tired of the ads . . . or is that just me?) In order to successfully home educate your children you need a Bible. Paper and pencils, and a library card are quite helpful, but not necessary. Most of us use some sort of curriculum, books, workbooks, DVDs, etc. for our children. 

What do you as the parent use for yourself?

I'll be brutally honest, I need encouragement in this journey. Do you?

Have you ever wondered how other parents homeschool? Do you struggle wondering if your children might have a learning disability? Are there days when you just want to throw up your hands and walk away? I think we all have days like that. The successes come when we don't give up, when we try again, or try something new. 

Our family has always been on a quest for frugal homeschooling. Sometimes out of need, always out of a desire to be good stewards of our God-given resources. If you're wanting to add a lot of choices to your homeschool, without adding a huge price tag, I suggest you check out SchoolhouseTeachers.com, oh how I wish this was around when our girls were little! Alas, it wasn't. So I spent a lot of time compiling things from the library. It worked for us. I was satisfied...but I'll let you in on a not-so-secret: using SchoolhouseTeachers.com is easier. 

I've written about SchoolhouseTeachers.com a couple times, and I'm sure I'll write about it again. If you want to read those thoughts, just click over here. Yes, I am an affiliate of ST.com, I love The Old Schoolhouse family! Usually I make a few pennies a month, maybe even a quarter. Earlier this year I had a month where I made enough to order printer ink ~ woo hoo! Even if I never made another dime I would tell you about SchoolhouseTeachers.com ~ it is just that good!



Another wonderful resource is The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. This is published digitally monthly and is free to read. You can even get an app for your phone or tablet. It is great to read during those in-between times: your lunch break, waiting to pick up your children, sitting at the dentist's office. I have found some of my favorite home educators to follow after being introduced to them in a past issue of The Old Schoolhouse Magazine.



Once a year TOS (The Old Schoolhouse) prints The Big Book. This hefty tome is filled with great reading on dozens of home educating topics. It is meant to be enjoyed over several months, and used as a reference to look back to throughout the year. Don't try to read it straight through all at once, or you might miss a month of your life-LOL! The 2016 Big Book is heading off to the printers. If you're wanting to get a copy, I suggest you pre-order it now while it's only $10!!! Only $10 to US addresses through January 1st, including shipping. That my friends is a stupendous deal! Once The Big Book hits newsstands it will cost more. It will still be worth the price, but $10 is better. If you're looking for a gift for a friend - this could be it. If you want your own copy- show this to your spouse!



Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Give the gift of yourself, and encouragement, we all need it!

Hope you're having a good week. Thanks for stopping by.
Know you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment