Saturday, October 14, 2017

Try



Christian living, 31 day writing challenge, try


Try is one of those words I have a difficult time with. As a mom, I have in the past encouraged my children to "try again" when they struggled - like when they were learning to ride a bicycle or play a piece of music on the piano. 

However, most of the time when we use the phrase "try again" it has one of two meanings and I think we would be better off by simply stating what we mean in the first place. The first meaning is this (the one form above): do it again, keep practicing whatever it is until you can perform it/ do it at the standard with which both you and I will be satisfied. The second meaning is usually a flippant remark : "try again!", meaning that no, you did not guess correctly, or you have misunderstood what I said. 

Is this being esoteric with my words? Perhaps. As I grow older I hope to grow wiser. I want my words to be easily understood whenever possible, and if someone does not understand what I am asking about or stating, I would want them to ask me to explain it differently. 

I have spent too many days, perhaps years, not understanding a person or situation well because of not understanding what someone asked of me, or what they meant to say, because I was too shy, or unsure of myself to ask them for clarification. Would it not be better to get over our own initial discomfort with the situation and ask for more information?

So when my children, or co-workers, are learning something new, I want to focus on having them "do it again" and when I talk and someone misunderstands or guesses incorrectly, I want to NOT be flippant, but guide the conversation to a point of understanding. May the word try turn back to its original use of testing or measuring against a higher standard.

May God try our hearts, test them, refine them. May we choose our words with care and a goal of understanding.




Christian living, 31 day writing challenge

1 comment: